Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Chili Verde

I have been making this for quite a few years and it is still one of my family's favorites. I've also won several church chili contests with this



It is not what most people think of when they think chili. It has no beans, it is not red or white and it uses pork instead of beef or chicken. Many people are afraid to try it because it has a very green (verde) color, but those brave enough to give it a try soon become fans. It is an adaption of a popular dish served in many traditional Mexican Restaurants in the Central Valley in California. The restaurant version is more of a soup with a very thin watery broth



Ingredients
Approx 5 lb pork roast (pork shoulder, Boston butt, etc)
2 cans  Las Palmas Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
1/4 cup flour or corn starch
salt and pepper
garlic
 

Over the years, I have developed a method of making it that is very easy and convenient for me. It takes two days. I buy the cheapest and biggest pork roast I can find. It doesn't matter if it has a bone or not. Pork shoulder roast or Boston butt work great.  I start by putting the roast in the oven at 350 for 3 to 4 hours. I season it liberally with salt, pepper and garlic. Don't add any water and just let it cook. When it is brown all over and juices flow clear when you poke it with a fork, take it out of the oven and let it cool for an hour or two. When the pan is cool enough to pick up without potholders, put it in the refrigerator overnight.
The next morning, I take it out and scoop all the congealed fat off the broth. The fat will be white and very much like shortening. I put the fat in the trash. Then, I remove the roast from the pan and put it on a plate. Transfer the broth (it will be congealed) to a medium size sauce pan and heat on low.


Cut the roast into large chunks, removing the fat from the meat and discarding as I go. Depending on how long the roast was cooked, it may cut into chunks easily or it may shred...either works fine. If I see a vein of fat running through a piece of meat, I cut on that vein to remove as much of the fat as possible. Chunks should end up being about the size of a six sided die. Once the meat is all cut up and as much fat as possible has been removed from it, I put it in the crockpot. Pour the cans of enchilada sauce over the meat, replace the lid and turn the crockpot on low. Bring the broth to a boil then thicken to a gravy consistency with either flour and water or corn starch and water. The gravy can then be added to the meat in the crockpot. Allow to cook in the crockpot for 3 to 4 hours. Serve with grated cheddar or jack cheese and flour tortillas.

A crockpot of this will feed quite a crowd, it also freezes well and is great to use in burritos or over rice for lunch or a light dinner.

No comments: