Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Homemade Pizza

We are pretty spoiled & buy take out pizza a lot more often than we should, but the quality of pizza here in Tennessee leaves a LOT to be desired, so we've recently tried out making it ourselves. I use a pizza stone that has to go into the oven for 15 minutes to heat up before you put the pizza on it. I make the crust and put it on a cookie sheet, then when the pizza stone is HOT I transfer it off the cookie sheet. Since my pizza stone is round, I make a round pizza.

I got this GREAT pizza crust recipe from my friend Lisa

1 1/3 cups water
2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp cornmeal
3 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Mix ingredients. Knead or use mixer. Let stand 10 minutes. You can roll the dough into two 9x13" pizzas (great for kid's lunches!) or into two medium pizzas or a large pizza and an order of breadsticks. Parbake the crust with a drizzle of olive oil on it at 450 degrees for ten minutes. Remove the crust and add sauce and toppings. If making breadsticks, add your breadsticks now. Place into the oven for another ten to fifteen minutes or until golden and bubbly.

I use leftover spaghetti sauce & whole milk mozzarella (takes less cheese & tastes extra yummy!) then either cooked Italian sausage or pepperoni or BOTH with another light layer of cheese over the top. Fresh garlic is also GREAT on pizza.

1 comment:

Callista said...

i have totally been meaning to make homemade pizza. maybe its a project for this weekend :)

thanks for following my blog!