Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chicken Parmesan

I made this for the first time one day last week. It was a BIG hit and we will definitely be having it again soon. I looked around for a recipe online, but didn't find anything that had all the elements I wanted, so this is what I came up with.

Ingredients
about 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 packet saltine crackers
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 t oregano
1 t basil
2 eggs beaten
1 cup olive oil
26 oz can spaghetti sauce
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese

I started with 3 large chicken breasts. I cut each one in half to make them thinner so that they would cook faster. In a large bowl, crush the saltine crackers and add the Parmesan, oregano and basil. Dip each piece of chicken in the beaten egg and then into the cracker mixture. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. When it's hot, fry the chicken pieces. Do not turn them until the first side is golden brown (too much turning makes the breading fall off). Brown on both sides.
Pour a thin layer of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Set the oven to 350. Place the brown chicken pieces in the baking dish evenly spaced so they are not touching. Pour sauce over the top and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. I have a couple kids who will not eat sauce, so I put theirs in a separate pan without any sauce.


Bake until cheese is melted and browned. Let it cool in the pan for a few minutes before serving, the melted cheese will be VERY hot!!!


No comments: