Monday, June 21, 2010

SOS....otherwise known as creamed chipped beef

If you've ever been in the military you probably know this as Sh*t on a Shingle....or SOS.  Hubby and I were both in the Army Reserve and anytime I ate breakfast on a military base it was my first choice.  The military wasn't the first place I had ever had it though....when I was a kid my Mom would sometimes make it for dinner.  I was actually pretty surprised to see it served for breakfast when I was in basic training.

Ingredients:
Dried beef
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
toast


The first step is to melt the butter in a frying pan, then tear up the dried beef into small pieces.  The beef is very salty, my Mom always rinses it before tearing it up, but my husband actually prefers it salty so I don't always rinse it.


Brown the beef in the butter for 10 to 15 minutes, the edges should curl and look slightly crispy. Then add flour to the pan and stir it around to absorb the butter from the pan.



Add the milk and bring to a light boil. Stir gently to keep it from sticking to the pan.

Serve over toast or if you prefer, biscuits. Hubby actually prefers it over white rice.  Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: