Thursday, March 12, 2009

Enchilada Casserole


My family loves enchiladas. We usually eat cheese enchiladas, but this recipe works well for any type of enchilada. The basic recipe is pretty simple.

Ingredients

corn tortillas (about 8 to 10)

shredded cheddar or jack cheese (2 to 4 cups depending on how much you like cheese)

can of red enchilada sauce

can of diced chilies (optional)

can of sliced olives (optional)

I usually make this in an 11X9 baking dish. Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce into the bottom of the pan. Next I tear corn tortillas in half and line the pan with them.



For cheese enchiladas, I put 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese in next covered with a layer of diced green chillies and then another layer of corn tortillas. Add another thin layer of enchilada sauce and then another layer of shredded cheese. Sometimes I garnish the top with sliced black olives.

To make chicken enchiladas, I shred 2 to 3 cups of chicken that has already been cooked & soak it in enchilada sauce. I substitute the chicken for the two cups of shredded cheese in the center and sprinkle about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese over the meat.


Green chillies are good with the chicken, but I don't always put them in. Cover with a layer of corn tortillas. Add a thin layer of sauce and then another layer of shredded cheese. I don't use the black olives in my chicken enchiladas & sometimes garnish the top with green chillies instead. Shredded beef or seasoned ground beef also work well for the center layer.

This can be made ahead in a foil pan, covered tightly with foil & frozen until ready to cook.

Cover pan with foil, cook at 375 for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook until cheese is golden. If cooking from frozen, cook at 375 for 50 minutes before removing foil, then return to oven until cheese is golden brown. To store after it has been cooked, slice into portion size squares & put in Ziploc bags. Reheat in microwave until hot all the way through.

No comments: